Compass Evaluation & Research staff members have worked with numerous early childhood organizations and programs to help them improve the outcomes for children 0-5 and their families. Examples of our work in this area include:
Frank Porter Graham (FPG) Child Development Institute
Compass staff worked with FPG to conduct a national study to assess the actual operating costs of public pre-kindergarten programs.
North Carolina Smart Start Partnerships
Smart Start is a statewide early childhood initiative funded to improve the quality of childcare, make childcare more affordable and accessible, provide access to health services, and offer family support. Since 1996, Compass staff have collaborated with more than 10 Smart Start Partnerships across NC to:
- provide technical assistance and training;
- conduct needs assessments;
- develop and institute strategic planning processes;
- conduct research studies of kindergarten readiness and community and agency collaboration efforts;
- conduct formative and summative evaluations;
- develop instruments and tracking systems;
- assist with collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and summarizing evaluation data and using results for strategic planning and decision making;
- and evaluate program contributions to progress on the NC Performance-Based Incentive System (PBIS) standards.
Southern Region Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE)
Compass staff members collaborated with SARE to develop and integrate a system to evaluate their Professional Development Program.
Smart Beginnings is Virginia's initiative to develop collaboration and resources in support of children ages 0-5. Compass is working with two partnerships, South Hampton Roads and Martinsville/Henry County, to support the ongoing programming provided in these counties. Services include logic modeling, planning, proposal development, evaluation planning, data collection, and website-interface design (for program and data management purposes).